Get to know Climeworks
Climeworks removes CO₂ from the air to fight global warming and protect future generations to come.
We develop, build and operate direct air capture (DAC) machines which capture CO₂ directly from the air. The captured carbon dioxide is removed from the air by safely storing it underground, permanently.
Founded in 2009 by engineers, Christoph Gebald and Jan Wurzbacher, Climeworks was built with a mission to inspire 1 billion people to remove CO₂ from the air, and is now spearheading the DAC industry globally. It has the world’s largest DAC facility and storage installation in operation and a team of over 300 Climeworkers determined to contribute to a net-zero future.
A true climate pioneer, Climeworks is featured as a TIME100 Influential Company 2022 and Global Cleantech 100 Company 2022, driving a revolutionary technology engineered to solve the most pressing issue of our time.
We foster a dynamic environment and are building a global purpose driven team. We are looking for disruptive thinkers, passionate achievers and inspiring leaders that are ready to take on the world’s greatest challenge.
Will you join us?
- Your mission at Climeworks is to manage the execution of FEED and Detailed Design projects with your team and external partners with focus on optimizing our plants enabling fast upscaling of our technology. Supporting the EPC Process engineering group to produce the FEED, detail design, Process engineering deliverables and studies.
- You interact with vendor's to resolve technical deviations and design standard exceptions.
- You will provide leadership identifying design, schedule, cost, quality, and reliability risks and pro-actively work with other staff to quantify or qualify the risks, so that timely decisions can be made for the benefit of the project. This also entails providing detailed technical information on all aspects of process engineering at the request of other project disciplines.
- You will be dedicated and accountable to the Project Manager/Director to support the design processes so that a complete design package is delivered to the organization as per the agreed schedule.
- You report to the engineering manager, identifying roadblocks, resourcing needs and outlining the schedule for process engineering activities.
- You evaluate standard and innovative industrial technologies to be transferred into our process plant.
- You model, simulate and optimize our process to identify optimal designs and subsequently review and supervise the creation of PFDs and P&IDs.
- You create tools to enable proper costing of process related equipment at an early stage of development.
- You are continuously analyzing data from our current plants in operation to optimize our processes and further improve our new plants.
- You train and sustain methodology on process risk assessment and guide others in relevant norms and directives by building up a formalized framework.
- You supervise the process engineering work packages done both internally and from our external contractors, ensuring the design adheres to specification and design guidelines.
- You review technical bids, carry out technical checks of performance data and oversee performance guarantee tests for major equipment.
- You work closely with the R&D team to understand experimental data and use it to drive decision making during process design.
- You interface with Operation and Maintenance to ensure cross boundary issues are identified and resolved effectively.
- You work as part of execution project team to support other engineering disciplines, facilities and systems for Direct Air Capture plants.
- You actively participate in relevant reviews including: P&ID reviews, HAZOPS, Design reviews, Value Engineering, and any independent reviews as necessary.
- You are responsible for working within the provisions and guidelines of the Climeworks Quality Assurance systems.
- You also are responsible for personal safety and working within the Climeworks Health & Safety procedures.
- You will work on site for some periods to provide Construction and Commissioning and Start-up support where needed.
- You hold a university degree in process engineering, chemical engineering or a related engineering discipline.
- You have at least 12 years' experience in process plants as a process engineer. Preference is for actual experience in operating.
- You also gathered at least 10 years' experience reviewing or creating project deliverables such as technical bid evaluations, technical deviations, materials of construction selections, and project decision records.
- You also have experience working on at least one project in chemical, petrochemical or renewables industry as an Owner or Owner's representative at all post phases of a project (FEED, Detailed design, Construction, Commissioning and Start-up).
- You have sophisticated knowledge in chemical and/or steam processes, process simulation (Hysys or Aspen Plus) and in developing independently piping and instrumentation diagrams.
- You have knowledge of sizing and specification for process equipment such as heat exchangers, vessels, pumps, compressors, boilers and control valves.
- You are familiar with all process engineering deliverables on projects such as the Process Description, Heat and Material balance, PFDs, P&IDs, Engineering Lists, Equipment Datasheets and Hydraulic Calculations.
- You have knowledge of other engineering disciplines that process engineers’ interface with such as process control, instrumentation, electrics, mechanical and piping.
- You bring in knowledge of relevant international and industry norms and directives such as API, ASME, ISO and other relevant standards related to design of process plants.
- You demonstrated the ability to initiate and champion new technologies and evaluate project opportunity.
- You have experience in presenting to executive audiences and EPC contractors.
- You have excellent organizational leadership, interpersonal and technical skills.
- You are eligible to travel and work in the USA and a Driver's License is required for business travel.
Disclaimer: This position requires relocation to Austin, TX with travel to Kansas City, MO. Are you willing to relocate and travel?
What We Offer:
At Climeworks, we foster a positive, purpose-driven, and inclusive culture. We care about the well-being of our Climeworkers and offer:
- Paid time off, including vacation.
- Flexibility to occasionally work remotely and adjust working hours.
- RSUs, making you a shareholder in our company.
- A competitive 401k plan and comprehensive health insurance, including dental coverage for you and your dependents.
- A horizontal organization, a supportive team, and a dynamic, innovation-focused environment.
You will join a horizontal organization, a great team, an improvement-oriented approach, and a scale-up venture with an innovative technology. Sounds like you? We are looking forward meeting you! Apply now by filling in the online application form and uploading your complete dossier to our careers portal: https://www.climeworks.com/careers.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Climeworks, we celebrate diversity and encourage everyone to apply. All qualified applicants are considered for positions, so bring along your knowledge, personal experiences, and fresh perspectives, and together we can make a difference.
We do not accept candidates from agencies for our positions.